Sunday, December 27, 2020

Black Sink Prairie

I found this picture of an older painting today while looking for another image. It's a view of the Black Sink Prairie in Citra, Florida.

This was a memorable painting excursion. Though it's called a prairie, the location is often more of a swamp than anything else.

I set up my easel by the edge of the swamp in a small clearing surrounded by brush, then started to paint. After starting to block in the landscape, I heard the grunting of a gator, quite close.

There was a lot of vegetation and water around me and I quickly realized I was not in a safe spot in case a gator felt hungry, so I ended up painting my landscape in a bit of a rush while standing on top of a metal folding chair I had brought.  

My sister Stephanie now owns this painting. It's not the most polished work I've ever done but I figured it would be better to have a rougher painting than to be missing a limb. 

I believe I painted this picture in 2014 or '15.

No comments: